Importing Companies from the NZ Companies Office
There are four ways to set up profiles for companies in Connectworks.
The quickest way to set up companies (or corporate trustee companies) is by importing the information held by the Companies Office, either individually or by using our bulk import service. This will automatically bring in the following:
registered office address
annual return filing date
the registered shareholding*
the publicly-available information for all the company directors (active and historic) and all active shareholders.
all the Companies Office documents made available to be downloaded as .pdfs
*Please note the share register information imported from the Companies Office reflects the shareholdings as they are registered at the time of import and is not deemed a compliant share register.
Select your preferred set up method:
Importing an individual company from the Companies Office
1. Navigate to your firm's Clients tab.
2. Select the "I would like to..." menu at the top right of the page and then "Add new Company" .
3. Use the search bar to find the company you wish to import by typing in the company name, company number, or NZBN.
4. When the company appears in the list, hover over it and click the ‘Import’ button.
5. Complete the Add company form.
In the Add company form we recommend selecting the tick box for "automatically merge people with identical names" - this will prevent duplicate contact profiles being created when a director is also a shareholder.
If you intend on using the Annual Returns Workflow it is essential to complete the filing responsibility for a company at the time of import, this ensures that the company appears in the correct filter in the annual return section of Connectworks.
For corporate trustee companies
In the Add company form, ignore the subscription plan and instead select the tick box "this company is a corporate trustee for one or more trust clients". This is a free subscription if the company will be linked to one or more trusts on a paid subscription plan in Connectworks.
Bulk importing companies from the Companies Office
After completing the Basic Firm Set-Up we offer a bulk data import service to help firms onboarding a large client base to Connectworks. It's the quickest and easiest way to get set up.
Our import templates can be downloaded below and contain detailed instructions on how to complete them. Please note that some templates have several worksheet tabs for recording your data.
Please follow the instructions carefully and do not alter the formatting of the sheets as this may cause your import to have errors.
If you do not have the NZBN's for your companies easily available please let us know and we will send your list to the Companies Office for a data match. Just be aware this will delay your import by approximately 48hrs.
Once completed, return the template to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will advise when the entity profiles become available.
How to Generate XPM Report to Populate Company template
To obtain client data from XPM / Workflowmax and quickly populate our import template:
1. In Workflowmax go to the Reports tab
2. Select report builder
3. Build a report including the details pictured below (if in use)
4. Preview the report and if you are satisfied with the results, simply download it and copy/paste the details into the applicable fields in our template.
Importing companies from XPM (Xero Practice Manager / WorkflowMax)
Please be aware
Companies imported from XPM will not be linked to the Companies Office. This will result in additional manual work to update the share register and connect to the Companies Office. Instead, we recommend setting up the company by manual loading or bulk import, then linking the company to XPM, as per:
Still want to import from XPM?
To import companies from XPM, you must have the XPM Add-on connected.
When the connection is set up, you can complete the following steps to import companies from XPM.
Import a company from XPM:
1. Navigate to your firm's Clients>Companies tab.
2. Click on the "I would like to..." menu and select Import from other system.
3. In the Add client form search for the company in your XPM list and import it into Connectworks.
Complete the company profile after import
For further information on updating the missing information please see Completing a company profile after XPM import.
Setting up companies manually (International companies / partnerships)
Generally, this option is only used to set up international companies, or entities such as partnerships that cannot be imported from the NZ Companies Office.
Manually set up a company
1. Navigate to your firm's Clients tab.
2. Select the "I would like to..." menu at the top right of the page and then Add new Company.
3. In the Add company form select the button "Manually create". This allows you to manually input the compliance and contact information shown.
4. After completing the form and creating the profile you will also need to add the associated parties into the company profile via the company Edit form or in the Company workspace>Admin Tab.
See more on adding associated parties to profiles here: Adding Associated Parties to Entity Profiles (how to create a contact).