Recording your firm’s role as a company’s registered office gives you a quick and easy way to manage your filing obligations across your client base.
The filing obligation setting also drives what companies will appear by default in your firm's Annual Returns Workflow. If companies you file for aren't appearing in your default workflow, it's because their filing obligation hasn't been set.
The filing obligation types you can record are:
- Not Registered Office - your firm has no filing obligations for the company
- Office filing only - your firm performs filings but does not act as the registered office
- Check filing only - your firm checks filings on behalf of the client but does not file them
- Registered office only - your firm acts as the Registered Office but does not perform filings
- Registered office check filing - your firm acts as the Registered Office, and checks filings on behalf of the client, but does not file them
- Registered office and filing - your firm acts as the Registered Office and performs filings
Record the registered office & obligation
To record your firms filing obligations navigate to your Clients>Companies list.
1. Place a tick next to the companies you want to assign a particular status
2. In the slide-out summary, select then change option next to Filing obligation.
3. Select 'change filing obligation'.
4. Chose the filing obligation type you wish to assign the companies, then click ‘Change’. The company’s obligation status will now display under its name.
Filtering your companies by obligation status
You can filter your list of client companies to view just those for which your firm has a particular filing obligation:
Filtering by obligation status in the annual returns workflow
In the Work tab, selecting an annual return filing status will show the list of companies whose annual returns currently assigned that status. Filtering your clients’ annual return filings by obligation status provides a useful way to view and organize your filing workflow over the coming months.
In the screenshot below, the list has first been filtered to show all companies whose annual returns need attention this month, then further filtered to show only those for which the filing is also the firm’s obligation (this is the default view).